Live Playlists allow you to schedule previously produced or recorded videos to playback on a channel at predetermined times, just like a linear TV schedule. You can use it for applications like:
- Looping live broadcasts immediately after you finish broadcasting
- Filling a channel with continuous programming, even when you are not doing a live broadcast
- Building the audience in the lead-in to a live broadcast
Creating a Live Playlist
Creating and editing Live Playlists is easy and is now implemented on the Dashboard. Here is how to access and create a LIVE Playlist.
- From the Dashboard have your channel selected from where you would like to create a LIVE Playlist.
- Now select the Playlist section on the Dashboard
- Click on the option that says Manage Live Playlist
- make sure Playlist Scheduling is ON and click Create New
- On the main Playlists management page, you can see any previously created schedules. Click Create new to build a new Playlist.
- Here you can easily name a schedule and determine what time to start playing its content. For a one-shot Playlist, leave the Repeat box unchecked. Check the "Repeat Playlist" box to repeat the content throughout the day or to a specific date. Note that the start time depends upon the timezone settings for your account. You can verify these settings in the Dashboard > Account > Settings page. Make sure to set both time zone Region and time zone City to the closest matching option.
- When you're ready to choose which videos to be played, click Add New Video on the right. Now you can drag and drop videos in the order you'd like them to play in. Drag items in the list around to optimize the running order. Times shown next to each video are the start and end time relative to the start time for the Playlist, making it easy to see how long your current Playlist run time is. Click Done to finish adding videos, and Save to confirm all the details for your new Playlist.
- Hint: try to use videos with the same technical parameters (aspect ratio, resolution, video+audio tracks and codecs) to optimize the viewing experience. Not all browsers support changing these seamlessly in the middle of a continuous video stream.
- That's it! When the local time hits the Start time you chose, your channel will start to playback the contents of the Playlist even if you are not logged in to your account. Any viewers visiting the channel page will see the videos play in the order you decided, as if a live broadcast were happening at that moment. You can also test and confirm the Live Playlist is streaming Live with the LIVE Monitoring Console Or by simply going to your channel page url.
Playing your playlist as a Replay
The Replay is a new option for Live Playlists that allow you to tag your player with a Replay Badge instead of showing your channel as Live. This is a great option for people who want to run their recorded broadcasts as replays. Here are the steps to setting a Live Playlist broadcast as a Replay:
- In the Broadcaster Page, Select Live Playlist from the dropdown menu
- Click on Manage Playlists
- Create a new playlist or edit an existing one
- Below the playlist title, Select the Replay option
- Save the playlist
When this playlist is on air, the player will display the replay badge instead of live
Streaming from an encoder.
We recommend that if you want to take back over your channel with streaming from an encoder rather than the Live Playlist, to make sure that you turn the Live playlist off.
This helps ensure that your encoder will now be sending the primary source of content to the channel and player.